How to Remove Carpet Stains
Removing Carpet Stains: DIY Techniques and Cleaning Solutions
It was bound to happen at one time or another — those unsightly stains on your carpet that ruin the interior appeal of your home. Spilled wine, pasta sauce, ink, pet urine… our carpets have seen it all. Sometimes you can just dab the affected spots with a damp cloth, and they come right out. Other times, not so much.
Before calling an expensive cleaning service, consider the DIY approach with these trusted common household cleaning solutions:
- Beer: Yes that brew sitting in your fridge may just be the best solution to those tough coffee or tea stains. Pour a bit of beer right on top and rub lightly on the material. The stain should fade away. This process may need to be repeated a couple of times to ensure that all traces of the stain are removed completely.
- Baking Soda: This comes in handy for vomit, grease, urine stains on your carpet. Pour a little baking soda over the affected area, pat with a dry cloth or paper towel, and let it dry. Vacuum up to completely remove the stain.
- Paint Thinner/Remover: This solution works best for spilled nail polish, ink, paint. Simply dab gently with paint remover.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Break out the first aid box and try this sure-fire remover. Make a paste of one teaspoon percent hydrogen peroxide with a small dab of toothpaste or cream of tartar. Rub on the stain and rinse. The stain should be gone.
- White Vinegar: Vinegar serves as a functional base for which you can combine other ingredients to create an even stronger cleaning solution.
- Mix half a cup of white vinegar with about two tablespoons of salt and apply on the stain. Once dry, vacuum the carpet.
- For paint and fruit juice stains, put together a solution of 1 1/2 teaspoons detergent, 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar, and about two cups of water. Scrub the paint away the paint and rinse with cold water.
- A paste made from mixing one tablespoon of vinegar with one tablespoon of cornstarch is a great solution to cleaning out ground-in dirt stains. Simply rub it into the stain, let it set for a day or two, then vacuum.
Effective DIY Cleaning Techniques
When faced with a carpet stain, the initial reaction is to quickly get out the sponge and start scrubbing away. However, you’d be doing yourself a favour if you utilised the right strategy.
Here are a few universal techniques to DIY carpet cleaning:
- Clean the stain as soon as you notice it – don’t give it time to become more stubborn
- Blot the stain instead of scrubbing to reduce the size and spread of the stain
- Do not over use the cleaning solution
- After cleaning, dry the carpet properly to prevent damp spots that could lead to mold growth.
There you have it. Next time you spill your drink or your pet makes a mess, you know exactly what to do.
Painting your house is something that you can do on your own if you want to save some money. Having the right paint will help you save more and maximize the use of your paint to its full potential. You also must keep in mind that just because you want an affordable paint, it doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice its quality.
If you are planning on selling your home, there are many things that you can do to make it more enticing to buyers. Fresh paint and new carpet will increase the appeal and they are something that most people will notice and appreciate. Home buyers don’t like to see…
Proper maintenance is the key to getting the most from your wood heating unit and extend its lifespan. Here are some helpful tips to consider
If you are looking for ways to make your living space cleaner and more conducive to focus and relaxation, you need to declutter your home. Soon you’ll be enjoying your minimalistic, clean and organized house while never missing any of that old stuff that once had you crammed into your tiny living space.
There are some rough price guides below, but you can also check Gumtree to see what specials are available for the different types of grasses here in Perth. An important part of any Australian backyard is the lawn, but for many Perth home owners, it is a rushed after-thought
In Perth, the rising trend of smaller sized blocks has also resulted in people opting for low maintenance gardens and artificial lawns. Landscaping is thought by some to be a chore, but those who know the value of an aesthetic art form such as landscaping …